Friday, June 11, 2004

In cruising the web today looking for actions related to the death of Ronald Reagan, I discovered these two notices, which should be of interest.

When I walked by the corner of Castro and 18th streets on Thursday in the late afternoon, no memorial of any sort had been erected at this site. That San Francisco cornered was overwhelmed with remembrances, candles and momentous when Princess Di and Matthew Shepard died.

Maybe both the streets of the Castro and the gay community center will soon become sites where San Francisco's citizens, across the political and social spectrums, but especially gays and lesbians, will publicly recognize the death of Reagan and his AIDS legacy.
^^^

Thrive SF's Yahoo group

Dear Friends,

I'M READY TO ACT! I have been contacting every media outlet I know and I feel like no one is hearing me. I am sick and tired of the amnesia the media is displaying. Too many of my friends and loved ones have died due to Reagans inaction. I'm ready to put on my Silence=Death t-shirt, make a sign saying "Reagan isn't MY hero", and light a candle. I will be staging a silent protest on JUNE 11TH, NOON, @ THE CORNER OF 18TH/CASTRO. Please Join me if you feel like I do. Bring your own sign and candle.

Lee Jewell
(415) 552-5552
Cell (415) 420-5038
rlj_sf@yahoo.com

*Please feel free to circulate this memo.

-

SF gay center

June 11, 2004

1800 Market Street
San Francisco, CA 94102
(415) 865-5555
e-mail info@sfcenter.org
event: National Day of Mourning
starts: 12pm / ends: 10pm

President George Bush has named Friday a National Day of Mourning in commemoration of the death of former President Ronald Reagan. In light of President Reagans failure to acknowledge the extent of AIDS on our community and on our nation, the San Francisco Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Community Center will recognize this day by lighting candles in the lobby to honor all of those who have died of this terrible pandemic. Materials will also be available to visitors of the building to document their feelings about this day.

To be held in the main lobby of the Center.

No comments: