Friday, July 14, 2006



Help Fund Efforts to Address Plight of Gay Iranians

Dear Friends,

As many of you know, I'm a one-person blogger and activist force who receives no government, non-government organization or corporate donations. Despite my paucity of funds, I've still managed to work in coalition with dozens of activists across the globe to make July 19 a day of international gay activism to publicize and address the horrific treatment of gay Iranians.

I now turn to you to solicit funds to print flyers and posters publicizing San Francisco's July 19 vigil and speak out for gay Iranians. Fund are also urgently needed to make international telephone calls to help coordinate and achieve maximum media exposure from the global network of such events that will take place that day.

Political artist Clinton Fein has created compelling posters for our San Francisco event, one of which is posted here, yet I lack the money to print them, put them up around town, and purchase foam core so that the posters can also be used as placards
during next week’s action. Without your donations, the posters will go to waste.

I've asked several mainstream nonprofits for financial assistance or use of their copiers and paper supplies, and requested the groups allow me to use their phones to call abroad. Unfortunately, my requests have been denied.

With no funding available for printing and international phone calls, I am turning to you and ask that you make a donation, which would enable me to run off hundreds of flyers and staple or glue them to bus shelters and lampposts, place in store windows, etc.

If you want to support my efforts here in San Francisco to do everything I can to turn our July 19 action into an event with many of people in attendance and great signs for the news media to shoot for their stories, please make a donation today via PayPal.

Don't be shy. Even a $5 or $10 contribution will be appreciated and put to good use.

If a lot of other folks ante up amounts big or small, I'll be able to put the funds to great use. Heck, with no money other than loose change from my own pocket, I
have helped assemble with other activists a day of coordinated international gay street activism throughout the world. Just think of what other wonderful actions can be accomplished with just a bit of funding!

Please make your PayPal donation today on behalf of this action by clicking on the white PayPal icon and link below. If you prefer to send a check, email me, mpetrelis@aol.com, and I'll send you my postal mail address.

And please join us on Wednesday, July 19 at 5 pm at Harvey Milk Plaza in San Francisco, or at one of the other worldwide actions next week. Click here for the updated list of cities.

Feel free to contact me with any queries about the event, the ramped up oppression experienced by gay Iranians, or my fundraising efforts, or to lend a hand in the city-wide media blitz I hope to undertake. Your support will help give at least a small degree of hope and comfort to gay Iranians.

Thanks for your support!

MICHAEL
Ph: 415-621-6267

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I´ve already sent a check to Michael.

It? really amazing what one committed activist can do.

He? right: Even a few dollars is most welcome. Please, send some love his way.

Karl Olson