Saturday, December 06, 2008


Bay Windows: Cannibals Eating HRC over Prop 8?

Over the years, I've had a number of heated arguments and disagreements with former Bay Windows editor Jeff Epperly, and I still like him. He writes an occasional column for his old publication, and this week he uses my criticism of HRC and its role in Prop 8 as a jumping off point for a numbers of arguments about the gay political community today, eventually leading to a conclusion related to cannibalism. My response?

Please pass the mayo. That left thigh of Joe Solmonese is a bit tough and dry to swallow.

From Boston's Bay Windows:

Longtime San Francisco political gadfly and blogger Michael Petrelis, who hates the Human Rights Campaign (HRC) almost as reflexively as Andrew Sullivan hates the Clintons, is up in arms because he got an invitation recently for a night of "pampering and relaxation" at a local spa to benefit HRC. "What’s next?" Petrelis asks. "Get a face-lift and HRC gets 10 percent from the plastic surgeon, to fight the next ballot proposition? Purchase a Mercedes and the dealer gives a percentage of the sale to HRC?"

I like Petrelis, but his anti-HRC crusade veers off into the comical a bit too often these days. I wouldn’t go to a silly spa night to benefit any group, and I certainly don’t enjoy putting on a tux and dining on chicken with the LGBT glitterati at posh events. I point this out because of the tendency of those who’ve decided to pile onto the Human Rights Campaign vis-à-vis the California Proposition 8 loss to paint anyone who chooses not to join the anti-HRC feeding frenzy as being beholden to HRC’s glam aura as "professional" Washington insiders -- as if being professional LGBT lobbyists in a capital full of professional right-wing lobbyists is a bad thing on its face ...

The torch-and-pitchforks mob currently hounding HRC around the Prop. 8 loss either have very short memories or a shallow frame of reference for their anger. HRC gave $3.4 million to the anti-8 campaign, which is exactly the kind of role one would expect them to take in a fight in which local organizations rightfully took the lead and HRC provided support ...

Prop. 8 was a California loss that should be laid at the feet of a local campaign that had too little money too late and a disjointed message that failed to speak to the constituencies -- moderate religious voters and voters of color, in particular -- who put Prop. 8 over the top ...

For those same people to now claim to know what’s best for all of us is worse than revisionist history. It’s a recipe for disaster in a world where Prop. 8 has taught us that, as much as we might disagree, opportunistic political cannibalism only drives apart a community that should know that we need everyone to do his or her part in myriad ways that by themselves cannot possibly capture the complexity needed to move us forward.


Hey Jeff, I am doing my part to move us forward, in offering up my criticism. I may be eating HRC for breakfast these days, but I sure as hell ain't drinking their Kool-Aid.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I read Jeff's column I said to myself "I'm not going to drink THAT Kool_Ade".

We are on the same page.

I don't know what disgusts me more HRC's incompetence or those who shill for them.

By the way, I'll have a double portion and an extra helping of Mole sauce to get it down.