Wednesday, February 18, 2009


LA Gay Center: $1M Prop 8 Loan

Was For Ads, Repaid in Full

Before I get into the meat of this post, I first want to give a shout-out to the media office at the Los Angeles gay community center, and, today, in particular, a public thanks to Thomas Soule from that office.

This morning, I emailed a few questions about a $1 million loan from the center to the No on 8 committee, both about the terms of it and if center programs were affected, and within hours I received what I wanted: a brief, but detailed, answer. Click here to read my original post about the sizable loan.

Let me also say that in my dealings with the LA gay center since the Prop 8 loss, despite my sometimes withering criticism directed at the leaders, the press office has acted in a professional manner. For that, I praise them. And not just because I want answers to my personal questions, but because I see the center making a genuine effort to provide accountability and transparency, to at least this blogger.

This rapid turnaround from the center puts the executive director and communications staff at the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force to shame. It's been more than a week since I emailed a few simple questions about the all-white people in NGLTF ads for its upcoming Winter Party fundraiser in Miami, and despite numerous calls and emails, no reply from the progressive gay group. Rea Carey's assistant, Julie Childs, last week told me a reply was coming before the holiday weekend. A promise not kept, but enough digressing.

All that being said, it's fascinating that even though the No on 8 campaign was raking in unprecedented millions in contributions, the campaign still needed extra dough in the final week. I was wrong in thinking our side had enough bucks at the end of the election. Also, interesting that Gill Action Fund executive Patrick Guerriero, who was on, ahem, loan to the No on 8 committee, didn't secure the loan from his boss, Tim Gill.

I sure would someday like to know more details about what went down in final days of the campaign, but for right now, I'm pleased with answers about the LA center's loan.

Without further comment, here is the statement from center:

The loan was to enable the campaign to make media buys in the final week of the campaign.

The campaign had projected that it would be receiving sufficient funds to cover the cost of the ad buys, but the funds would not actually be received in time to make the buys (as television stations require payment in advance for such advertising).

Patrick Guerriero requested that the Center make a very short term loan to the campaign of $1 million.

The Center board of directors approved the loan to be made by a draw on the Center’s credit line and it was made on October 28.

As agreed, half of this was repaid 3 days later and the other half was repaid a week after that.

No services or Center operations were impacted.

No comments: