Saturday, October 08, 2016

SF Film Society Presents 'Modern Cinema' at SFMOMA


This weekend, Bay Area movie lovers are celebrating the start of a "Modern Cinema" series at the newly designed Phyllis Wattis Theater at the hugely revamped SF Museum of Modern Art.

Presented in collaboration with the fine folks at the San Francisco Film Society, Janus Films and the Criterion Collection, the series runs throughout October and then continues in February and July.

On the program this weekend are classic works by Akira Kurosawa, Ingmar Bergman, Chantal Akerman, Michelangelo Antonioni and Ousmane Sembène.

My only complaint is that I am unable to catch any of the films again or for the first time. Because of the presidential debate on Sunday between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump, I won't be at the screening of Sembene's landmark African film "Black Girl" at 5:00 pm.

I am such a believer in cinema as a collective experience, I don't watch films online and admit to occasionally seeing movies on my bucket-list on Turner Classic Movies.

For the remainder of the "Modern Cinema" presentations this month, my hope is to catch at least one film and hopefully two more by Thai director Apichatpong Weerasethakul.

Get more details on the programs and to purchase tickets here.

No comments: